Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On the Road Again!

Hey there!

It seems travel has become a summer theme. (And I hope it stays this way for years to come.)

Last time on "Em and her Backpack," we found our heroine trekking Mt. Wilhelmshoehe in 103 degrees, getting hit on by very forward German men, and witnessing a massive Bonobo group therapy (look it up). Let's see what the preview is for this summer's expeditions...

This Saturday (merely 3 days away), I leave for Roma!! Three days to explore the eternal city and see what my 3 years of latin and classical civilization studies have taught me. My brother is performing with his youth symphony orchestra just outside of Rome on the 20th. How many people can say that they have seen their sibling perform music abroad? So excited.

I have the expertise of Dr. de Brauw on which Gelato place to attend. Though I think it is safe to say that this will not be a one time experience. Heehee.

On the 22nd (or a week from today!) I head to Paris, taking the train to Milano and then along the border to the city of love. This is where the research and filming begin. I've got about a week to explore some of the libraries which Jacob Grimm dived into in 1804. Perhaps I'll discover some sort of gem that I can record. I can't wait to walk along the banks of the Seine, dance in a gypsy carnival, and carve little wooden figurines of the townspeople...okay, I might be describing a Disney movie but if I've learned one thing, it's that Disney films are always culturally accurate, right?

Then I make my way to Kassel, Germany, the home-city of the Brothers Grimm and home to one of my favorite places in the world, Herkules Denkmal. (For those of you who tuned in last time, this is the statue at the top of the "mountain" that I hiked to in gladiator sandals, carrying about a quarter liter of water, and nearly paralyzed my legs on the way up...but it's totally worth the view!) This is where the majority of my filming will take place and hey, maybe the museum will actually be open this time. One can only hope.

After Kassel, I train it up to Berlin, business capital of Europe and hopefully the site of my next summer's adventures (if all goes as planned with the Fulbright committee...and that's a big IF...but I can dream). I will be visiting their grave sites and doing some interviews at the libraries here.

What a dream! I'm excited, nervous, anxious, and relaxed all at the same time. Travelling is what I live for. I'm so lucky to be able to do what I love.

Stay tuned in for regular updates. I'm sure this experience will be just as plot-twisted as the last.

Cheers,
Em

P.s. Oh and did I mention that I'm couchsurfing the whole time?

No comments:

Post a Comment