Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Finally in Frankfurt

Dear Home:

So Three days after my intended date departure, a few rude ticketing agents, and many hours on a train later, I arrived in Frankfurt last night at about 11:30. My Hostel was luckily across the street from the train station, with hot showers, free wi-fi and a 24 hour bar. A necessary reprieve from the grueling day behind me.

When I arrived at the train station early Monday morning, the first ticketing agent I spoke to, was even less helpful than the one on Friday. After trying to explain that there had been a mistake with the computer system and my seat had been double booked, he proceeded to tell me that there was no way to get into Germany on Monday, let alone Frankfurt.

I left disgruntled but not defeated. I crossed the hall to the OTHER ticketing office and approached another agent. I may have exaggerated my situation, saying that my flight left Tuesday and I HAD to be in Frankfurt as soon as possible (which is basically true), but I got my way. Two regional trains to Basel, Switzerland (where there was absolutely no passport control whatsoever) and then I was on my 3 hours ride to Frankfurt. I met two sisters from Indianapolis who were very nice. They are travelling around Europe with a Eurorail pass. We parted ways at Basel.

Today my plan is to take a train in a few hours up to Kassel where I will meet Franzisca, my couchsurfing host, and tomorrow I will do most of my filming. Thursday I will try to get my interview at the museum and then head back to Frankfurt and Friday I fly out.

France exhausted me so much. I am reluctant to say that I disliked it because it is such a beautiful city, but I was never more relieved than when I pulled into Basel and heard German and saw the beautiful German countryside on the train up to Frankfurt. Feels so much like home here.

Can't wait to be in my own bed in about 4 days.

Pictures later.
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment