Thursday, June 23, 2011

Frustrated in Paris

Dear Home,

I hate to say it but stereotypes exist for a reason. Just like there do exist a lot of loud and obnoxious Americans (though it most certainly doesn't apply to everyone), there also exists a lot of rude and mean people in France (though it doesn't apply to everyone). Nearly every Parisian or French person I've come into contact with has been rude. It was a bit disheartening at first as an American who actually wants to try to learn about the culture as much as possible. This morning, I even wanted to cry, but that was also from a bit of lack of sleep.

Let me fill you in...

After a sleepless night on Tuesday, I got up Wednesday, had breakfast and said goodbye to Aydan and Sara and hit the train station. A pretty uneventful ride from Rome to Milan. I got a sandwich and transferred trains. My seat mate was a very nice Egyptian man who lives in Italy and was going to visit his brother in Paris. Okay, yes I made up a story about being married and having a daughter because he was coming on a little strong and that seemed to ease the situation.

I had hoped to start sleeping on the train right away and sleep all the way to Paris but then we hit the Alps and they were freaking insane. Next time I'm here, I'm staying in Switzerland near in the Alps. Stunning.

Well about 10:15 rolls around and the speaker overhead says something garbled in French, of which I pick up on, "Lyon" and "Paris". Wanting to be sure that it was "Gare du Lyon" that I heard, which was my stop in the city of Paris and not just "Lyon" which is a city two hours AWAY from Paris, I asked the conductor and he nodded and said yes and shuffled me off the train.

So I was thinking that I was set.

Then I realize that there is no metro station in here and everywhere around me, I see the signs for "Lyon".

Wonderful.

I trekked up to the airport connected to the train station and the guy at the information booth took pity on me by giving me a free internet card so that I could let ma famille and Katie (my host) know that I would not be arriving last night. No other trains were leaving until the next morning and thats when the ticket booth opened as well.

So airport floor it is!!

Luckily there were two other college age guys in the same boat and we ended up having some lovely chats. One guy from Sweden who was headed up to Germany and another from New York doing a summer program in Paris at the NYU campus. I felt bad for him because he was stuck in the aiport due to circumstances outside of his control. :(

In the morning, I got some awful coffee which was not a good start and went to the ticket booth. Well, try as I might to be as polite as possible and start speaking in French as best I can, apparently, that's not good enough. My Eurorail pass was apparently "invalid" until next Tuesday. (Well, I leave next Friday so that ain't an option). I ended up having to shell out 66 euros for a train ticket that I'm NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE TO PAY!!!

Grrr...This was when I had to hold back the tears. I said, "buck up, it's only three days" You'll be fine."

Got on the train. Took the metro to Katie's place. She showed me around. Her apartment is freaking sweet but at least 8 floors up which means my calves are going to be sore toomorrow. We walked around town so she could show me the libraries and metro station to get to Sacre Coeur tomorrow which is where I will get the first of my visuals for the documentary. FINALLY!

The saga begins.

Katie is an au pair and now at work til midnight. Meanwhile, I am enjoying some wine and tea, writing to ya'll and finishing up my storyboard for tomorrow.

I think I will take a nap shortly. Two nights in a row with minimal sleep. Not good for Em.

No pics yet.

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment