Sunday, June 26, 2011

Changing plans and a nervous nancy

Dear Home:

Sorry about the wait. I've been otherwise occupied with interesting and intriguing tales of adventure, awkward advances, and arrondisements.

Friday morning after a relatively long night's sleep (10:30 to 10, yes!), I left the apartment to go walk around Jardin du Luxembourg. Very pretty and saw the Palais and fountain. A little touristy but on the outskirts of the park are a lot of locals, fitting in a morning run, match of tennis or some balancing tai chi.

I then "metro-ed" up to Gare de L'Est to inquire about my ticket from Paris to Frankfurt. Nothing for Saturday, nothing for Sunday. Great...but wait! Tonight at 10 p.m. I can go to Stuttgart and at 6 a.m. head from Stuttgart to Frankfurt. I'm in.

So then I make my to Sacre Coeur, stopping to film libraries along the way. Sacre Coeur, while being a pretty touristy destination, is also amazingly beautiful. The highest place in Paris, one can see for miles all around. I went inside the church and lit a candle for Grandpa Ralph and Grandpa Art. I'm not catholic and neither were they but prayer has no denomination.

I captured some film footage from the top of the Dome and just sat to absorb the feeling of being at the top of the world.

Then I headed to Notre Dame and the National library for some more footage and personal pictures. As I walked along the Seine to see the Louvre, I realized how incredibly massive it is. I think it literally stretches for at least an entire kilometer, if not more! Took some pictures in front of the pyramid and all around the perimeter. But I had to be back by 8 so that I could get into the apartment so I didn't linger. I'll be back though to go into the museum. I'm sure of it.

Back at the apartment I said goodbye to Katie and prepared to leave. I took my bags to the Eiffel tower for some pics but left soon. It was so crowded and I'm pretty sure that even though I haven't gained any extra luggage, my pack is increasing in weight.

At the train station, mere minutes before the train leaves, as is Emily's luck, I find that my seat has been double booked. Since the other person was travelling with family and I was alone, I thought it only chivalrous to allow them to have the seat and book another train sometime later. HOwever at this point the ticketing office was closed (and as I found out yesterday, doesn't open to til MOnday, I'm stuck in Paris for the weekend. Luckily, Katie graciously allowed me to stay for a few extra nights so I'm not stuck in the airport like last time.

Emily's having the best luck, aren't I?

Yesterday, Katie, her friend-Rachel-from Georgia, and I went to a local's park and walked around. I now know why Parisien women are freaking skinny: they walk around mountain and climb a skyscraper's worth of stairs each day. My legs are gonna be ripped when I get back.

Katie made a really great Vegetable-Mint stir fry. Delicious! And then we chatted over wine for a few hours. This morning, Sunday, was a lazy start and I've been popping in and out of cafes to do work, LSAT prep, and just relax. Unfortunately it is redonkously hot outside and thus I've been cooling off with Strawberry juice. Mmmmmm.




No comments:

Post a Comment