Saturday, July 3, 2010

Schloss Phillipsrühe, Schneewittchen, and Football

Dear Home,

Today was a much more productive day than yesterday. Feeling much better and well-rested, I took the train out to Hanau at about 11 a.m. (I realized that because people are out drinking here until like 3 am the day doesn't even start until 10 a.m. so not bad for me.

After the train and the bus to the Schloss Phillipsrühe, walked through the gates and found a beautiful Baroque style palace. It was SO pretty, with fountains and rose gardens all around the outside. There were, I kid you not, at least 6 different wedding parties so I slipped past them into the Palace to check out the museum. I was the ONLY person in the entire museum who wasn't working for it.

It was really cool though. Lots of old paintings and Baroque architecture and an exhibit on Paper Theater puppets, my homedogs (the Brothers Grimm), and Russian fairy tales which was interesting. The Museum curator came up to me at one point and said that he was surprised anyone was here today and then asked if I was from Hessen. I told him no but from the USA and explained why I was here. Once again I was told with a surprised expression that I spoke German very well. At this point (after about 20 different people telling me that) I'm beginning to think of it as a statement of surprise rather than a compliment. Everyone is shocked to learn that I'm from the U.S. after I've spoken with them for a little bit. I only hope that I'm changing their ideas of what an American is.

So after the museum I took a romp through the park and gardens behind the museum and meandered to the amphitheater where I had seen that a performance of Snow White the musical was playing in the afternoon. (Don't get your hopes up, this was NOT the Disney version and at times it even strayed from the Grimm version.) It was interesting though. Again my seatmates, who were from Bavaria, were surprised that I could understand what was going on. The musical was somewhat like a modern rock power ballad thing. The dwarves were hilarious. Probably the best part of the show. Also throughout the whole show, all of the adult Germans were whispering the score of the Football game against Argentina. During intermission people were crowded around mini-TV screens. It was hilarious.

The worst part was that it was about 90 degrees outside with a humidity of 95%. It was horribly humid and thank goodness we were outside otherwise the arena would have been RANK! After the show, I went up to the tech booth to ask if I could pose some questions to the Director or an actor. I was pointed to a man in a Black shirt but by the time I reached where he had been, he disappeared and it had started to sprinkle. So I decided that I would come back on Tuesday (Monday it is closed and tomorrow is FAMILY LOVE PARK).

ON my way to the bus stop, the skies unleashed hell upon Hanau. It thunderstormed like nobody's business and of course everybody was out in the rain because Germany had just won...It was a sight to behold. I grabbed the bus and took it to the main square where at least 1500 Germans were in the street dancing and drinking and waving the German flag...Great fun...I grabbed a beer from a stand and started dancing too. Before I knew it, it was already 9 p.m. and I needed to get home because let's face it, I was starting to get a little tired and a shower was needed.

I took the train home and then realized that I only had half a sausage left in my fridge...well and some beer. So that was my dinner. Tomorrow I desperately need to go shopping first thing in the morning. And then in the afternoon FAMILY LOVE PARK!!!!

That's all for now!
Tschüssi!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment