Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Busy days ahead

Dear Home,

Well, the power cord problem was fixed in a bout 30 seconds. The guy at the internet cafe took a look at my adapter and turns it the adapter was broken. Thank goodness, because I didn't know WHERE I was going to find a new power cord. My visit to Frankfurt was just the pep I needed though. It really is a beautiful city with the perfect blend of historic and modern sights. I sat outside of a cafe for two hours just enjoying the view and the people walking by. Then I walked around and found the Ziel which is like Michigan Mile in Chicago.

As you walk down the streets, you can tell that it is a business man's city. Every 3rd person is a smartly dressed office man, clearly with things to do and places to go because he's walking about 10 mph. I also happened upon the Kaiser Dom of Frankfurt which was beautiful and even though I'm not catholic, it had a certain mysterious quality that was appealing.

I didn't have enough time to find the Liebfrauenkirche but as I'm coming back to Frankfurt for 3 days at the very end of my trip, I plan on finding it then.

Tomorrow I leave for Kassel, which means tonight I pack my bags. I'm very excited to go to Kassel. Not that Hanau wasn't interesting, but I know that there are a lot more Grimm details in the Märchen capital (Kassel). Plus, I really want to go to Marburg which is very close and Göttingen.

Today was a writing day. I took my notepad and began outlining my final project, making note of the holes in my research that I needed to fill in in Kassel.

I also started outlining a possible alternative Richter 2. I mentioned a few posts ago that I was planning on studying Catholicism in central Europe. However, I realized that, this project will be my Senior Thesis and its not really a primary interest of mine. Most people who've asked me about my majors know that I don't necessarily want to use my majors for my career. If I had my way, I would work at Second City or Saturday Night Live as a writer. BUT I had to be somewhat practical in my major choice so I picked another job that makes no money. (Bravo, Emily, Bravo.)

So I started thinking about what I KNOW that I'm passionate about: Comedy. My brother can tell you that I follow AT LEAST 50 different comedians and can tell you their style and probably some of their best known jokes. It's what I love. I think it would be interesting to try and discover/prove that American culture can be identified at our own sense of humor. In my brief outline, I planned on visiting comedy clubs in North, South, East and West United States cities. (So I think we are talking about New York, Chicago, Dallas/Forth Worth, and Los Angeles, which is kind of perfect because I can stay with family in Chicago and Dallas/Forth Worth.) I would hopefully be able to get a ticket to see SNL, Daily Show, and of course Second City and the Laugh Factory, among other comedy clubs.

It's just a thought but if I had to choose project 1 over project 2...I would choose project 2, even though project 1 is probably "More academic". Whatever that means.

Anyway,
Time to pack.
Next time write it will be from Kassel!
Bye
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment